Solomon-Aram Family Blog

This blog is about my experiences as a parent. It is not for the weak of stomach :-).

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Anger


K pissed me off yesterday. I wanted to put O down for her nap. We had been working in the yard all morning. Here was my plan: I give K something to eat that she really likes and leave her to enjoy her lunch with the dog. I go into the bedroom and leisurely nurse O to sleep while I read a magazine. Sounds nice, no? K wasn't in a cooperative mood. I microwaved K a piece of pizza (children don't know yet that pizza tastes much better toasted) and left her in the kitchen. I crawled into bed with O. I was enjoying some moments of peace when K walked in. She was sandy, muddy, and with pizza sauce on her hands. Young children are like dogs - they can sense fear. With children, they can sense that you are afraid of them getting something dirty. Non-chalantly, I said, "Hi K. Did you finish eating your pizza?" "No," she answered, getting closer to the bed. "Why don't you go finish eating. Soon I'll be with you." K steps closer to the bed. "K, please don't climb on the bed, you are dirty." With that, K jumped onto the bed. I ripped the nippple out of O's mouth, threw her on the bed and grabbed K, pushing her off. "Stay off the bed!" I said to K, not so calmly, "You are sandy and your hands are dirty." Not missing a beat, K said, "Just with my stomach." She launched herself onto the bed. Again, I threw O down and pushed K off the bed. "Do NOT climb on the bed! You are getting it full of sand!" I yelled at her. Smiling, K climbed on the bed again. I grabbed her, pushed her out of the bedroom and closed the door. I told her not to come in. K went back to the kitchen to finish her pizza. After a couple of minutes, she came back. "Mommy, are you angry at me?" she innocently asked. "Yes, I am." I answered. "But just a little, right." K questioned. "No, K. A lot," I responded. "I hate sand in my bed."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home